Optomechanical Engineering – Professor Jim H. Burge
References for OPTI 421/521 – Introductory Optomechanical Engineering
Mechanical measurements (from Starrett)
Metal working web sites
Optical fabrication references:
- Anderson, Burge “Optical Fabrication” (from Handbook of Optical Engineering)
- Plympton, Weiderhorn “Optical Design Considerations for Optics Fabrication” (from Optical System Design)
Tech notes From Schott:
Strength of glass:
Optical systems references
- Web site for Bal-tec
- Web site for G2 Engineering
- Web site for MIT Precision Engineering Research Group
- L. C. Hale,“Friction-based design of a kinematic coupling for precision applications,” Proc. ASPE p. 45–8. (1998).
- L. C. Hale, Alexander H. Slocum, “Optimal design techniques for kinematic couplings,” Precision Engineering 25, 114–127 (2001).
- A. H. Slocum, A.H, “Kinematic couplings for precision fixturing- Part 1: Formulation of design parameters,” Prec. Eng. 10;85-92 (1988).
- A. H. Slocum, and A. Donmez, “Kinematic couplings for precision fixturing- Part 2: Experimental determination of repeatability and stiffness,” Prec Eng. 10;115-2 (1988).
- Tutorial: Cylinders in Vs. An optomechanical methodology (document);
Precision machine lectures from MIT:
Lots of stuff from MIT:
References for engineering mechanics from Dr. Stone’s OPTI 222 class:
- Lecture 1: Review of Stress and Strain
- Lecture 2: Stress Calculations (Example Problem)
- Lecture 3: Stresses on Inclined Planes and Displacement, Deformation and Strain
- Lecture 4: Stress – Strain Relationships
- Lecture 5: Deformation of Axial Members, Thermal Strains & Design Concepts
- Lecture 6: Moment of inertia and Properties of Plane Areas
- Lecture 7: Idealization of Supports and Distributed loads
- Lecture 8: Shear Forces and Bending Moments in Beams
- Lecture 9: Flexural Stresses In Beams (Derivation of Bending Stress Equation)
- Lecture 10: Shear Stress in Beams
- Lecture 11: Beam Deflections
- Lecture 12: Beams Deflections (Method of Superposition)
- Lecture 13: Torsion
- Lecture 14: Torsion (Example Problems)
- Lecture 15: Torsion (Additional Topics)
- Lecture 16: Buckling
- Lecture 17: Stability and Buckling (Example Problems)
- Lecture 18: Buckling (Other End Conditions)
- Lecture 19: Analysis of Stress and Strain
- Lecture 20: Analysis of Stress and Strain
- Lecture 21: Mohr’s Circle for Plane Stress
- Lecture 22: Mohr’s Circle for Plane Stress (Additional Topics)
- Lecture 23: Generalized Hooke’s Law
- Lecture 24: Pressure Vessels Stresses Under Combined Loads Yield Criteria for Ductile Materials and Fracture Criteria for Brittle Materials
- Lecture 25: Example Problems – Pressure Vessels – Stresses Under Combined Loads – Yield Criteria for Ductile Materials and Fracture Criteria for Brittle Materials
- Lecture 26: Structural Materials
- Lecture 27: Structural Materials
Other Reference books
- Ahmad, A., Handbook of Optomechanical Engineering (CRC Press, 1997)
- Ealey, et al, Advanced Materials for Optics and Precision Structures, (SPIE vol. CR67, 1997.)
- O’Shea, D., Selected Papers on Optomechanical Design (SPIE vol 770, 1988)
- Yoder, P. R., Mounting Optics in Optical Instruments, (SPIE Press, Bellingham, WA, 2002).
- Yoder, P. R., Design and Mounting of Prisms and Mirrors in Optical Instruments, (SPIE vol. TT32, 1998)
- Yoder, P. R., Mounting Lenses in Optical Instruments (SPIE vol. TT21, 1995)
- Yoder, P. R., Optomechanical Design (SPIE vol CR43, 1992)
- Shigley and Mischke, Mechanical Engineering Design, 5th ed. (McGraw-Hill, 1989)
- Slocum, A. H., Precision Machine Design (Soc. Man. Eng., 1992).
- Young, W. C., Roark’s Formulas for Stress and Strain, 6th ed. (McGraw-Hill, 1989).
- Smith, W. J., Modern Optical Engineering 3rd Ed. (McGraw-Hill, 2000).
- Hecht, E., Optics, 4th Ed. (Pearson Education, 2001).
- Wiese, G. W., Optical Tolerancing, (SPIE vol. MS36, 1991).