The biannual Industrial Affiliates week is coming up in just under a month and SOCk is hosting a number of events to help you get prepared for the IA career fair on Monday October 21st.
On September 25th, we hosted a Resume Workshop which was the first in a series of two events SOCk, WiO, and POW are hosting to help you get your resume cleaned up. Our next resume event will be on October 2nd at 4:30pm at 1702 which is located just north of Meinel on Speedway. This will be a more informal resume review session so bring a copy of your resume for your peers to review and enjoy some pizza!
On October 18th at 12pm, our Community Speakers Friday will be several short talks from our students who had summer internships this past year. This will be a fantastic opportunity for students to share their networking tips with their peers and show off what they worked on over the summer. Have an internship you would like to talk about? Sign up here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScrWnsdE2A3X5WFD3n_IDbK2JEuDpo8NLVtKLV28CW7iXqKjw/viewform
Finally, SOCk will be hosting the Industrial Affiliates Poster Session on October 22nd at 5pm. This is a wonderful opportunity to present your research to the affiliates and get some conversations started. SOCk will be printing posters for the first handful of students who sign up here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfsmatBI9KwpqTAeELn28pQW5swowwYsw0G36yBkLv7yPJbzg/viewform
Curious about who our affiliates are? Find the list here: https://www.optics.arizona.edu/outreach/industrial-affiliates
We hope to see you at some of these events!
Come and listen to a talk by John Jackson about building connections at the Industrial Affiliates. Pizza will be provided after the talk to give everyone time to practice what they learned while they eat.
Room: 305 (The bottom floor of the new building)
Topic: Building connections at showcases
Time: 12 – 1 pm talk; 1- 1:30 pm pizza
(See Events page.)
The calendar will continue to be updated so check back for up-to-date details! Let us know if any questions.
We know the website has been outdated for a while. As of 1/28/18, we are working on getting it updated and functional so that we can all use it again!
Work has begun planning for Laser Fun Day, and we need your help once again to run the event. Please sign up here to be an event volunteer! Volunteers will be fed lunch and receive a volunteer shirt, on top of the great perk of seeing kids smile at all the cool science we’ll show them. This is our 7th Laser Fun Day, and we’re going to have a great time. We once again have BAE Systems, SPIE, and OSA as event sponsors, so we’re well funded and ready to inspire the next generation of scientists. I hope to see you there!
If you’d like to join the planning committee itself, please email email@example.com to learn about meeting times and how you can help. Thanks!
Hello everyone! Welcome to 2017 and a new semester.
On Friday, January 20th, we will have our first community speakers of the the semester. We’ve got a lot of announcements and important information to cover to get this semester on the road, including:
- Announcing the winner of the Fall VIP Series competition, and awarding the $250 prize
- Getting everyone pumped (optically, of course) for Laser Fun Day, which will be on March 25th this year!
- Showcasing plans for the major spring events, like our camping trip, the State of the College Address with Dean Koch, and other social and academic activities
- Giving updates on our grants awarded from SPIE and OSA, and the cool new projects that they enable us to do that we need your help with
- Finally, the wait is over, they’ve arrived……. SOCk socks are here! Many of you ordered them a while back, and they’ve finally come. For those of you who paid already (we have a list of your names), we’ll be distributing them. We have a limited number of additional SOCk socks, so come and get them while you can!
Thanks everyone! I hope to see you Friday at noon in 410/408.
Welcome, optics students, to the new academic year!
I’m excited for all of the activities we’ve got lined up for this year. Last year we set records with how many people we told about optics with our outreach activities, and we had some amazing events as well. Let me give you an overview of what to expect for this fall.
- We are hosting an OSA IONS Conference at the end of September. Check out the website here for more information! We invite you to present your work there in front of other OSA students from around the world.
- We will again have our Fall Welcome Back BBQ in a few weeks here at the College. Stay tuned for more information.
- Our Community Speakers series will resume shortly as well. If you’re interested in presenting, for a chance at $250 and eternal glory, please sign up here! Colton Bigler, a third year PhD student, won our VIP series competition in the spring. Your name could join his on the award plaque.
- If you are not yet an OSA or SPIE student member, don’t forget to sign up! These professional societies will connect you to other students, give you scholarship opportunities, and help you stay in touch with your field of study. Check out both OSA and SPIE’s websites to learn more.
Thanks! Join our Facebook group and keep an eye out for emails from firstname.lastname@example.org for important updates and information. I look forward to seeing you in the halls of the Meinel building.
2016-2017 SOCk President