- Theoretical and practical aspects of radiometry and calibration
- Radiometric standards and instrumentation – design and calibration
- Optical radiation detectors for the ultraviolet, visible and infrared
- Self-calibration and quantum-efficient detectors
- Ultra-low uncertainty spectrophotometry
- Radiometric instrumentation for planetary exploration
- Ultraviolet, visible and infrared radiometric systems
- Radiometric temperature measurements
- Solar and atmospheric radiometry
- Radiometric properties of the Moon
- Radiometric properties of materials (index of refraction, BRDF and BDTF)
- Educating the uninformed about radiometry (SUN)
- New methods for classroom and lab instruction
- Music: Jim played piano since the age of 3; he played trumpet for 11 years; and has performed choral music, classical, pop, and jazz for nearly 50 years. He sang in 8 states and 13 foreign countries with various groups, with notable choirs, orchestras, and conductors.
- Ham Radio: Jim was a ham radio operator on and off since 1952 (W9WJD). He held the Amateur Extra Class license AB7AR.
- Golden Retrievers
- Jim also has three sons, three daughters-in-law, four grandsons, one granddaughter, two out-of-step-daughters, two out-of-step grandaughters, and an out-of-step grandson.