This could be you! We got our award plaque in for the VIP series and it looks good. We are currently accepting presenters for the Fall VIP series competition if you’d like to see your name on this plaque. Colton Bigler won our spring VIP competition, and walked away with a nice $250 prize (and eternal glory).
This Friday, we hope to see you at our first Community Speakers event for the semester! This will be from 12-1PM in Mienel 410/408. Academics Chair Dawson Baker will be presenting on upcoming events and plans for SOCk in the fall, as well as introducing new officers.
Also this Friday, we are having our annual Welcome Back BBQ! Everyone in the College is invited to join us for a social time of eating food and hanging out. We will have burgers, hot dogs, and vegetarian options. This will be outside the 3rd floor lobby from 5-7PM. If you’re willing to lend us your grill, please send Jarod weber an email at email@example.com.
Thanks! I hope you will join us, reconnect with friends after the summer, and welcome the new students.
Welcome, optics students, to the new academic year!
I’m excited for all of the activities we’ve got lined up for this year. Last year we set records with how many people we told about optics with our outreach activities, and we had some amazing events as well. Let me give you an overview of what to expect for this fall.
- We are hosting an OSA IONS Conference at the end of September. Check out the website here for more information! We invite you to present your work there in front of other OSA students from around the world.
- We will again have our Fall Welcome Back BBQ in a few weeks here at the College. Stay tuned for more information.
- Our Community Speakers series will resume shortly as well. If you’re interested in presenting, for a chance at $250 and eternal glory, please sign up here! Colton Bigler, a third year PhD student, won our VIP series competition in the spring. Your name could join his on the award plaque.
- If you are not yet an OSA or SPIE student member, don’t forget to sign up! These professional societies will connect you to other students, give you scholarship opportunities, and help you stay in touch with your field of study. Check out both OSA and SPIE’s websites to learn more.
2016-2017 SOCk President
Don’t forget to sign up to be a part of the VIP series in the Community Speakers forum. You get a chance to show off your research to the community and get a shot at the $250 grand prize at the end of the semester. You can sign up here.
You can also evaluate speakers of the week by clicking on their name below:
- Jonathan Brand: “A task-based two-stage observer to stage hepatic fibrosis”
- Caleb Baker: “Ultrafast Characterization and In-situ Probing for Modelocked VECSEL Structures”
At the last Community Speakers we announced the Very Impressive Presenter series. The goal of the VIP series is to return to some of the original goals for Community Speakers: we want to place a higher emphasis on research and make sure students at OSC have the chance to share and practice presenting their research work.
Prizes: there’s a $250 cash prize for the best presentation every semester.
If you’re interested in sharing your research at Community Speakers in the future, please let us know by filling out this form.
Hey guys, so SOCk socks are finally happening. There are two ideas for the design, crew and knee highs. Take the survey at here to tell us which design you like. Please feel free to contact Allison Richter with any questions or comments about the design.