- B. R. Frieden, ed., “The Computer in Optical Research”, Vol. 41 of Topics in Applied Physics (Springer-Verlag, 1980).
- B. R. Frieden, “Probability, Statistical Optics and Data Testing” (Springer-Verlag, revised, third edition, 2001)
- B. R. Frieden, “Physics from Fisher Information” (Cambridge University Press, 1998).
- B.R. Frieden, “Science from Fisher Information” (Cambridge University Press, 2004).
- B.R. Frieden & R.A. Gatenby, eds., “Exploratory Data Analysis Using Fisher Information” (Springer, London, 2007)
Chapters in Books
- B. R. Frieden, “Evaluation, design, and extrapolating methods for optical signals, based on use of the prolate functions,” Chapter VIII in Progress in Optics, Vol. IV, E. Wolf, ed. (North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, 1971), pp. 311-407.
- B. R. Frieden, “Image enhancement and restoration,” Chapter 5 in Picture Processing and Digital Filtering, Vol. 6 of Topics in Applied Physics, T. S. Huang, ed. (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1975), pp. 177-248.
- B. R. Frieden, “Computational methods of probability and statistics,” in The Computer in Optical Research, B. R. Frieden, ed., Vol. 41 of Topics in Applied Physics (Springer –Verlag, 1980).
- B. R. Frieden, “Statistical models for the image restoration problem,” in Image Modeling, A. Rosenfeld, ed. (Academic Press, New York, 1981), pp. 133-152.
- B. R. Frieden, “Some statistical properties of the median window,” in Transformations of Optical Signal Processing, W. T. Rhodes, J. R. Fienup, and B. E. A. Saleh, eds. (SPIE, Bellingham, Washington, 1982).
- B. R. Frieden, “Maximum-likelihood restoration of spectra,” in Deconvolution with Applications in Spectroscopy, P. Jansson, ed. (Academic Press, New York, 1984).
- B. R. Frieden, “Estimating occurrence laws with maximum probability, and the transition to entropic estimators,” in Maximum-Entropy and Bayesian Methods in Inverse Problems, C. R. Smith and W. T. Grandy, eds. (D. Reidel Publ. Co., 1985), pp. 133-169.
- B. R. Frieden, “Stochastic approaches to inversion problems in optics,” in Statistical Methods in Image Analysis, K. V. Mardia, ed. (Special Issue: J. Applied Statist., Vol. 16, 1989), pp. 243-266.
- B. R. Frieden, “Physical information and the derivation of electron physics,” in Adv. In Imaging and Electron Physics, Vol. 90, P. W. Hawkes, ed. (Academic Press, New York, 1995), pp. 123-204.
- B.R. Frieden, “Probability and Statistics,” in Optical Engineer’s Desk Reference, ed. W.L. Wolfe (OSA, Washington, D.C., 2003).
- B.R. Frieden, “Information Theory,” in Encyclopedia of Nonlinear Science, A.Scott, ed. (Routledge, N.Y., 2005), pp. 444-446.
- B.R. Frieden, “Extreme physical information (EPI) as a principle of universal stability,” Chap. 15 in Information Theory and Statistical Learning, F. Emmert-Streib and M. Dehmer, eds. (Springer-Verlag, N.Y., 2008)
- B.R. Frieden and R.A. Gatenby, “The role of information and order in the origin of life,” in Genesis – In the Beginning: Precursors of Life, Chemical Models and Early Biological Evolution, J. Seckbach, ed. (Springer, N.Y., 2012)