Opti 570: Quantum Mechanics
- First day of class for Fall 2023: Tues, Aug 22, 2023. 12:30-1:45pm. Optical Sciences Room 305
- For students enrolled in OPTI 570, announcements are posted on the OPTI 570 D2L page (go to d2l.arizona.edu)
In-Person and Zoom help sessions
- Brian’s optional post-lecture recap/Q&A
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, approx. 1:50-2:50pm unless otherwise stated (sometimes may need to be cancelled). In person, conference room 447.
- Also recorded and posted to D2L/Panopto for distance students to watch.
- This is a chance to ask questions and gain clarity on topics discussed in that day’s lecture, which is the priority vs discussing homework problems. Please try to free up this time slot to attend in case it’s needed, but it’s not required and it is recorded, so it’s not a problem if you are otherwise busy.
- TA recitation sections
- TA: Carter Gillenwater, Optical Science MS student. cgillenwater [at] arizona.edu
- 5-6:30pm on most Wednesdays. This session will be held in-person in room 305 of Meinel, and will also be recorded using Zoom and posted on D2L/Panopto. If a live Zoom option is available, the Zoom link and password will be posted on the announcements page of the 570 D2L site.
- Ask questions about the homework due that week, or other questions about the course material
- Exams for Main Campus students will also be given during this time block (5-7pm actually). Attendance is required during these times when exams are given (unless you have made other arrangements with Brian), whereas recitation attendance is optional. Exams for distance students will be scheduled separately and due a few days after the in-person exams.
- Brian’s office hours
- TBD. Wednesdays, Noon-2pm in person only (in Brian’s office, room 622)
- Regularly scheduled office hours for remote students are possible, but don’t seem to work very well. 1:1 scheduled Zoom meetings usually work better, but we can modify based on the needs of the remote students in the class.
- TA office hours
- The Fall 2023 class will be offered IN PERSON ONLY for UA Main Campus students. Students enrolled in the in-person section are expected to attend class in person. Recorded lectures will be available for the occasional instances when you can’t make it to class. Regularly missing class will result in a reduced class participation grade.
- The Fall 2023 class will also be offered as a Distance Learning class through Arizona Online. Students taking this class remotely must register for the Arizona Online section.
- Class time and location for the IN PERSON class: 12:30-1:45pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Optical Sciences room 305 (lobby area / lowest floor of the west wing)