Optical engineer- Summer intern | KLA
KLA is a global leader in diversified electronics for the semiconductor manufacturing ecosystem. Virtually every electronic device in the world is produced using our technologies. No laptop, smartphone, wearable device, voice-controlled gadget, flexible screen, VR device or smart car would have made it into your hands without us. KLA invents systems and solutions for the manufacturing of wafers and reticles, integrated circuits, packaging, printed circuit boards and flat panel displays. The innovative ideas and devices that are advancing humanity all begin with inspiration, research and development. KLA focuses more than average on innovation and we invest 15% of sales back into R&D. Our expert teams of physicists, engineers, data scientists and problem-solvers work together with the world’s leading technology providers to accelerate the delivery of tomorrow’s electronic devices. Life here is exciting and our teams thrive on tackling really hard problems. There is never a dull moment with us.
With over 40 years of semiconductor process control experience, chipmakers around the globe rely on KLA to ensure that their fabs ramp next-generation devices to volume production quickly and cost-effectively. Enabling the movement towards advanced chip design, KLA's Global Products Group (GPG), which is responsible for creating all of KLA’s metrology and inspection products, is looking for the best and the brightest research scientist, software engineers, application development engineers, and senior product technology process engineers. The RAPID division is the world leading provider of reticle inspection solutions for the semiconductor industry. The company provides inspection solutions to both the mask shops and the semiconductor fabs to ensure that lithography yields are consistently high thus enabling cost-effective manufacturing.
Job Description/Preferred Qualifications
The general responsibilities include to create designs, develop build and testing methods for the many optical subsystems that make up the inspection tool. Specific deliverables include optical system design, optical alignment methodology, and analysis of various optical modules. Especially, design tasks include creating optical models, statistical tolerance analysis, performance predictions, leading design reviews, creating test procedures, and selecting suppliers.
- Investigate different design options and finding the best option through evaluating tolerances, manufacturability, light budgets and other trade-offs.
- Perform a tolerancing analysis for optical components or optical system
- Design and implement optical alignment and metrology process, test/tooling fixtures to achieve targeted optical performance.
- Debug, and trouble-shooting of optical problems
- Optical design in imaging and illumination systems
- Statistical optical component and alignment tolerancing
- Able to use optical modeling software such as CodeV or Zemax or LightTools
- Optical module and system build, alignment and debugging
- Working knowledge with diverse optical devices and components such as objectives, collimator, CGH, and relay optics, fibers, cameras, lasers and detectors
- Strong understanding in optics and physics enabling to analyze complex optical phenomena
- Proficiency in computing language such as Matlab, Pytheon
- Strong emphasis on creative problem solving and effective communication.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility, follow through and keep multiple simultaneous assignments on schedule.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (analytically and hands-on in a lab).
- Strong communication and presentation skill. Must have the capability to clearly communicating progress and status of ongoing investigations to managers and to customers; Candidate will be required to write reports documenting investigations carried out.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- MS or higher in Optical engineering or Physics
- Highly desired to have strong background in following disciplines, Geometrical optics, Fourier optics, Lens design, Radiometry, Optical metrology, Illumination optics, Optical imaging system, Optical alignment