Engineer – VIAVI Engineering Development Program | VIAVI
The Engineering Development Program (EDP) at VIAVI is a program for highly-qualified engineering graduates.
The program enables new graduates to develop technical and leadership skills through a series of rotations in functional and manufacturing areas in our Santa Rosa, California facility. Through rotations in their first year, new graduates learn important skills in optical metrology, materials characterization, optical coating design, evaporative coating, sputter deposition, quality systems, and program management. In their second year they are placed into a first process engineering role. The rotations, combined with two years of coursework in key technology areas, provide new graduates with the skill set required for an Optical Thin Film Coating Process Engineering role in one of Viavi’s Santa Rosa Operations Engineering groups.
This position is located in Santa Rosa, California. VIAVI’s Santa Rosa facility manufactures products for applications in anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, government, healthcare and automotive markets.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Over the two years of the program, complete courses in key VIAVI technology areas such as:
- Vacuum Technology
- Optical Thin Film Coating Design
- Glow Discharge Processes and Plasmas
- Evaporative and Sputter Deposition Processes
- Introduction to Color and Appearance
- During the first year, develop optical coating process engineering skills through rotations such as:
- Materials Characterization Laboratory
- Program Management & Quality Engineering Group
- R&D Coating Development Group
- Chemistry Processes
- Short Rotations in Environmental Health and Safety, Color Metrology, and Optical Sensors
- Complete projects in each rotation, with contributions including:
- Assisting in trouble-shooting problems through materials analysis and other means
- Developing coating processes for manufacturing optical coatings
- Applying program management and quality systems in projects in operations groups
- Documenting work in informal memos as well as formal reports
- Presenting information on projects to fellow engineers and management
- During the second year, transition into a process engineering role in a VIAVI operations group.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and ability to interface with all levels of staff and leadership.
- Analytical thinker; detail oriented; problem solver; self-starter.
- Able to work independently and with cross-functional teams, and to contribute in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Capable of working on special projects as well as normal day-to-day responsibilities; operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Have unrestricted right to work in the US on a permanent basis.
- Minimum B.S. in related Engineering discipline such as Mechanical, Electrical, or other Physical Science.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. Person as a U.S. Citizen or National, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, Refugee, or Temporary Resident granted amnesty.
- Proficient with computers: strong proficiency with MS Excel and Office; experience with MatLab and related tools.
- Experience and/or interest in optics, vacuum engineering, and/or vacuum processes highly desirable.
VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV). VIAVI’s OSP division is a leader in anti-counterfeiting solutions for currency authentication and high-value optical components and instruments for diverse government and commercial applications. Learn more at www.viavisolutions.com and follow us on VIAVI Perspectives, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
Process Engineering Roles at VIAVI’s Santa Rosa site
The Engineering Development Program (EDP) at VIAVI prepares new graduates for Process Engineering roles at the company. The job description for a representative role in Process Engineering at Viavi is given below.
Optical Thin Film Coating Process Engineer
This individual will be responsible for engineering support relating to the manufacture of optical thin film coatings and special-effect optical pigments. The person in this position is the technical interface with the production floor staff working as a critical part of the manufacturing team. This person will also be part of the technical interface team with customers and product design teams at Viavi Solutions to identify requirements, establish specifications and respond to inquiries pertaining to optical filters and pigments. As such this person will establish systemic solutions and processes to improve process yields, product quality, engineering efficiency and process consistency.
- Work closely with Viavi’s Application Engineering group and the customer during the quotation, product design, preparation for manufacturing, and production phases of optical filter products
- Using Viavi proprietary software and other tools, develop designs for optical filters and coatings
- Work closely with production personnel to provide manufacturing guidance and lead problem solving actvities
- Provide technical ownership of one or more process platforms such as vacuum-based coating deposition tools, including overall tool performance in yield, cycle time, readiness for production, areas for improvement, and capability
- Transfer new products from prototype to volume manufacturing
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and drive continuous improvement activities in manufacturing
- Proactively manage program risk through risk identification and mitigation processes
Education/Experience & Qualifications:
- Experience in optical multilayer evaporation and/or sputter coating operations
- Expertise in design and evaluation of optical thin film coatings
- Proficiency with thin film optical coating design software
- Proven track record in working with production to meet customer specifications, expectations and on time delivery
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interface with internal as well as external customers
- Knowledgeable in Metrology techniques and equipment
- Experience with product development is desirable
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Engineering, Physics, Optics, or other related technical discipline
- Ability to work under pressure and dealing with demanding customers
- Knowledge of fundamental engineering concepts, statistical process control and problem-solving techniques
- Engineering leadership and/or managerial experience desired