2024 Summer Undergraduate Intern/Co-op – Mechanical or Optical Engineering | MKS Instruments, Newport
Spectra-Physics, Ophir, Newport and ESI are brands within the MKS Instruments Photonics Solutions division. We provide a full range of solutions including lasers for precision industrial and scientific research applications, laser and LED measurement, beam profiling, precision motion control, optical tables and vibration isolation systems, photonics instruments, temperature sensing, opto-mechanical components, optical elements, and systems for flexible PCB laser processing, high-speed MLCC testing, and CO2-laser-based systems HDI PCB and IC substrate manufacturing. MKS Photonics Solutions enhance our customers’ capabilities and productivity in the semiconductor, advanced electronics and specialty industrial markets.
Undergraduate Intern / Co-op Program Overview-
- 3-month intern / co-op within a functional area of MKS Instruments that provides students a comprehensive and engaging experience from before your program starts to after the program ends.
- Meaningful work and project assignments
- Networking opportunities with peers and executives
- Exposure to different divisions of the business
- Understanding of MKS Instruments’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The Integrated Solution Business (ISB) Group of MKS Instruments is growing very rapidly with significant strategic investments in the development and fabrication of cutting-edge, high precision opto-mechanical assemblies. To manufacture and design these products, ISB is seeking an exceptional Mechanical or Optical Engineering Intern to join our team. In this position, you will support planning, conceptualizing, designing, testing, and documenting complex, high-precision opto-mechanical components and subassemblies. If you have a passion for working with cutting-edge technology, this is the internship for you.
What you will do is:
- Work cross-functionally with and be mentored by an incredible team of mechanical, optical, electrical, reliability, and manufacturing engineers.
- Support product development activities and document changes of mechanical, opto-mechanical modules, systems, and instruments.
- Learn and use industry standard software (Zemax, CodeV, Ansys, SolidWorks, etc.) to design and document robust high precision opto-mechanical modules, tooling, and fixtures.
- Participate in feasibility studies and testing.
- Support the development and execution of product verification tests and perform troubleshooting of opto-mechanical assemblies and/or final systems.
In addition to your enthusiasm and creativity, you will bring to our team:
- At least two years toward a BS degree studying Optics, Photonics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent STEM program.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated consultative and collaborative skills to partner and consult with our manufacturing, design, and product teams.
- Demonstrated initiative, resiliency, flexibility, time-management, and organizational skills.
- Proficient computer, software, and data analysis skills including Microsoft Office or equivalent programs.
- Relocation and temporary housing benefits may be available for this position
- Qualified candidates should be US Persons
Compensation and Benefits:
Hourly Pay Range: $18.00 to $28.00 per hour. This range is a good faith estimate of the expected salary range for this position, based on a wide range of factors including qualifications, experience and training, operational and business needs and other considerations permitted by law. At MKS, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for the role.
Benefits: MKS offers a benefits package for interns/co-ops working at least 20 hours per week, including 11 paid holidays, sick time, and 15 paid vacation days accrued on a biweekly basis.
MKS is an equal opportunity employer, including disability, veteran status and all categories protected by law. Please review our EOE statements for additional details.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries (“MKS”) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer: diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. We win as a team and are committed to recruiting and hiring qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), religion, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, marital status, membership in the uniformed services, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law. Hiring decisions are based on merit, qualifications and business needs. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with applicable law and company policies.
MKS is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process due to a disability, please contact us at: accommodationsatMKS@mksinst.com .
If applying for a specific job, please include the requisition number (ex: RXXXX), the title and location of the role