References for OPTI 423/523 – Optomechanical Design and Analysis
Stock List for Standard Materials
- Jorgenson – EMJ, with headquarters in Lynwood, is one of the largest independent distributors of metal products in North America with 37 service and processing centers
Vacuum Window References
- Example for detector window: Autocad file
- Uses Parker 2-171 O-ring in Viton.
- The O-ring specs are 7.987” ID and a width of .103”.
- The O-ring gland is .110” wide by .090” deep with a 7.965 ID and 8.185 OD.
- This gives a “squeeze” of .012 (Parker recommends a wider and shallower gland but we found that it distorts the O-ring too much).
- K. B. Doyle, M. A. Kahan, “Design strength of optical glass,” Optomechanics 2003, Proc. SPIE 5176 (2003).
- NBS 1972 report “Fracture Mechanics of Skylab windows”
- Schott reference on the strength of glass
- Brian Cuerden’s spreadsheet for glass strength
- Brian Cuerden’s data sheets for crack propagation
- O-ring reference
- Parker O-ring manual
- Vacuum windows by Oli Durney